Thursday 18 April 2013

The 'love' affair between Helen and Paris

Iliad



Helen and Paris in the Iliad did not 'fall' in love,but merely Helen was a prize given to Paris by Aphrodite, who was chosen by Paris in a beauty competition between Aphrodite, Athena and Hera,' Aphrodite offered the love of the most beautiful woman on Earth, Helen of Sparta. Paris chose Aphrodite— and, therefore, Helen, Athena offered skill in battle, wisdom and the abilities of the greatest warriors,Hera offered ownership of all of Europe and Asia, but he chose Aphrodite and that led to Paris having to capture Helen from Menelaus, because she was already married to him. 
This triggered the war because Helen was famous for her beauty throughout Achaea, and had many suitors of extraordinary ability. Therefore, following Odysseus's advice, her father Tyndareus made all suitors promise to defend Helen's marriage to the man he chose for her. When she disappeared to Troy, Menelaus followed the oath. Helen's other suitors (who between them represented the lion's share of Achaea's strength, wealth and military prowess)were obligated to help bring her back. And for this reason the whole of Greece was there to fight for Helen of Sparta.



Troy


Helen and Paris in Troy is far different, where Helen was taken by Paris in the Iliad, Helen actually Falls in love with Paris,
Troy (2004)
Paris: Pearls from the sea of Propontus. Helen: They're beautiful, but I could never wear them, Menelaus would kill us both. Paris: Don't be afraid of him. Helen: I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of tomorrow. I'm afraid of watching you sail away and knowing you'll never come back. Before you came to Sparta, I was a ghost. I walked and I ate and I swam in the sea... I was just a ghost. Paris: You don't have to fear tomorrow... come with me! Helen: Don't play with me, don't play. Paris: If you come, we'll never be safe. Men will hunt us, the gods will curse us, but I'll love you. Until the day they burn my body, I'll love you.

She leaves with Paris knowingly and in love 



The aftermath of the Battle between Paris and Menelaus
After the fight between the two Helen is thankful that the fight had not end between the two and was joyful almost at the fact that Paris chose love over honor and for her, a true love scene which may have been added because Wolfgang wants to appeal to all audiences including women men and children to earn more money with more people interested instead of just one group of audiences eg just a male audience due to only warfare.



No comments:

Post a Comment